Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I know that it was a cloudy cold rainy day when I was born. The day was suppose to be a pretty day it was May. On May 10, 1946 a chubby dark haired little girl was born at the Old St. Joseph's Hospital in Lexington, Kentucky.
Mom and dad brought me home to the farm in Midway, Kentucky about a week later. It was a modest house and sat on a hill with a spring house at the bottom of the hill with an underground spring. We had an old dog by the name of Brandy. He was so spoiled and owned the old wicker chair in the front foyer. I was named after my great Aunt Helen McKinlay. She was my grandfathers spinster sister. So my Christian given name is Helen McKinlay Nuckols.
Our house was a darling house and had been added onto. It used to be a log house and was updated in the late 30's. I had a cozy little bedroom down the hall from my parents. The bath and a closet separated the bedrooms. So I figured out if I yelled loud and long enough Mom would hear me and I would get to snuggle with both of them early in the mornings.
The first funny thing that mom bought me was a two faced doll. One side cried and one side smiled. I got to where I would mimick the faces when mom would turn them. If it was on the crying face I would bawl, if it was on the smiling face I would giggle out loud. I was the talk of moms luncheons and cocktail parties. Built in entertainment. LOL
Now how special was that!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment