Tuesday, January 26, 2010


I must admit its an old house but a beautiful house. Many memories tend to rumble through my head when I look at it. It has changed a lot. We had white fences when I was growing up and there was a fence around the side yard at the top of the hill. We also had cattle guards that kept the cows and horse out of the yard with out having to have a gate. Over in the trees at the base of the hill is where the spring house is to this day.
My cousin lives in the house now. His family added the back end onto the house. It enlarged the kitchen and put a huge family room off of the kitchen and a large back foyer. Its nice but makes the house really large. The older house had 9 rooms and 3 baths, bar, den, formal living and dining, 4 bedrooms, back porch and two pantrys--storage and butler pantries. I love that old house. It has a large porch all the way across the front.
We had a smoke house and a chicken house and a two car detached garage in the back of the house. Dad and mom used the buildings for storage and finally they were torn down. The garage stayed but I think burned down after my cousin moved into the house. I think they rebuilt the garage. I still go by to see Alfred my cousin when I go home to visit. He is always a good host. He takes time out from his schedule to chat and have a cup of coffee with us.
I hope this gives you an idea of the closeness that we Nuckols shared as we were growing up.
We had 3 cherry trees in the side yard, 2 crabapple trees, 2 huge walnut trees and a pear tree.
Mom tried to raise a couple of peach trees but they always died. Mom loved Peonies, Janquils, crocus iris and tulips. We had a fence row of peonies they were bright red. I loved the smell.
Moms favorite smelling flower was gardenia. Bad thing is we couldnt raise them in Kentucky.
We also had forsytha bushes big big bright yellow--- I should know they made wonderful switches LOL
Well wanted you to get an idea of the house and how it has evolved through all this time. Hope the picture gives you an idea. It was taken by my brother in law from Spring Station Road. I will show older pictures of the house as I get to them. OK that is it for today.

1 comment:

  1. I love this picture!
    How awesome you are able to tell us about
    your life.
    I love you Mom!

    ReplyDelete